Welcome to the website of OSCAR Sandwell, a registered charity (1080599) and company limited by guarantee (3736648) that was established in 1988 to promote the well being of sufferers of Sickle Cell Anaemia and Thalassaemia.
Organisation for Sickle Cell Anaemia Research and Thalassaemia Support (OSCAR) was first set up in the United Kingdom in 1975. OSCAR was developed to provide a direct service to the public and act as a link between Sickle Cell sufferers and the communities that were at risk from the conventional service providers.
Our Mission Statement
Working together with service users, voluntary and statutory services and stakeholders to improve the quality of life for people affected by Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia in the Sandwell area.
OSCAR Sandwell aims to:
- Improve public awareness of the disabling effects of Sickle Cell Anaemia and Thalassaemia.
- To give advice and support individuals and families affected by these conditions.
- Promote research into the prevention and cure of both Sickle Cell Anaemia and Thalassaemia blood disorders.
- Raise funds to continue the promotional work of OSCAR Sandwell.
We offer the following services:
- Support and guidance
- Training & Education
- Befriending services
- Social activities for all ages
- Advice and guidance
- Volunteering opportunities